I have a tea event coming up in a week and a half. I have been wracking my brain trying to come up with an idea for an historical reproduction dress to wear for it. I wanted something reminiscent of the costumes in the series Downton Abbey (gorgeous costumes). I already had a net overlay with a scalloped hem (actually it is an embroidered net curtain I found on sale at a home store years ago, saving for an occasion such as this!). I perused my pattern stash, found two gowns that were really appropriate, but too much trouble as far as making complex toiles (samples of the dress or bodice in scrap fabric to check fit - always a good idea, and will be done for the gown I ended up picking as well), and probably taking loads of time that I do not have. I finally settled on Laughing Moon # 104, 1909-1913 Day or Evening Dress. It is not a hard pattern, and I will make a few small changes to suit me. Today I went to Joann's. I was originally thinking of a gold fabric to go under the overlay, but then I found this celery green fabric that looks gorgeous underneath it. I also got a small amount of rose colored fabric for a sash.
I washed my lining muslin, and began the tedious task of tracing out the pattern in my size on Bosal Create-a-Pattern. Tomorrow I will make my first toile of the bodice. Since the bodice is not tightly fitted, it should be an easy task (I hope). I am so excited about this dress!