Monday, May 28, 2007

Square Foot Gardening

I have been very busy with woodwork refinishing and gardening, which explains my absence from here! I am using a method of gardening called Square Foot Gardening. We started this two years ago, and with each year it gets better and better. Paul built two more boxes this year. I am happy to say that we are enjoying the first fruits of this garden:



Radishes


Here is the garden:

Paul is going to finish laying the garden blocks down in the back.
I need to plant more seeds!



And here is a close up of the first square I planted:

In the corners: Flowers
Foreground: Carrots
Middle Front: Beets
Left side: Sugar Snap Peas
Right Side: Radishes
Back: Lettuces and Leeks

I have been methodical about writing down not only what I planted when, but I have also been calculating the projected harvest dates as well. So I have a separate page called "Harvest 2007" that has the weeks of summer and what will be ready during that particular week. I had to use a calendar and the seed packets to calculate the harvest dates. It did not take all that long, and now all I have to do is consult the Harvet Schedule each week to see what I can pick!

1 comment:

Trina said...

I just found your blog through the SandS message board. Your garden is beautiful! How often I have dreamed of such a tidy and productive as you have pictured here.